We’re grateful to the caring and talented individuals who make our patients more comfortable, our hospital more productive and our days a little brighter. Each year, more than 200 compassionate individuals provide more than 30,000 hours of service.
Many opportunities are available, both working with patients and supporting our staff. Assignments are based on your interests and skills, as well as the needs of Montefiore Nyack Hospital. Scheduling is flexible with morning, afternoon, evening and limited weekend positions available.
Volunteering at Montefiore Nyack Hospital offers the opportunity to learn new skills, make new friends, gain relevant work experience and explore a career in healthcare.
Volunteer With Patients:
- Offer support to patients and assist them with their needs through the Sunshine Visitors Program
- Shadow staff members in various departments (for college students only)
- Volunteer in patient-care units
- Assist the Patient Transport Services department
- Distribute books, magazines, playing cards, crayons and coloring books
- Participate in our Certified Pet Therapy Program (you and your dog need to be certified)
- Participate in our Infant Cuddler Program
- Offer cold beverages and snacks to patients and families in the Infusion Center (Refreshment Cart)
- Escort patients between various departments
- Assemble and distribute inpatient personal comfort kit
Support Our Staff:
- Assemble patient discharge folders
- Support various business offices
- Assist at the Gift Shop
- Work in nonclinical departments
- Assist in the Volunteer Office
- Support Food Services
Commitment: Volunteers must be willing to commit to at least 150 hours of service over a six-month period (for students, at least 62 hours during the summer). To ensure that volunteer time is productive, volunteers should be able to work at least four hours per week.
Age: Volunteers must be at least 15 years of age. We welcome high school students, baby boomers, seasoned professionals, young retirees and older adults.
Screening Process: All volunteers are carefully screened and thoroughly trained to ensure the safety and privacy of our patients. Volunteers must complete an application by mail, fax or online (preferred). In addition, volunteers must have the following, all provided by the hospital:
- Health screening
- Drug screening
- Flu shot (seasonal),
- Full vaccination for COVID-19
- Background check
If you’re 18 years old or older, you must come into the hospital for an interview. Interviews are by appointment only.
If you meet the above requirements and are willing to complete the required screenings and vaccinations, please complete an online application.
We’ll send you an email confirming receipt of your application.
The 2023 Summer Program has reached full capacity. We are unable to accept any additional applications.
Please check back early next year (January to early March 2024). Thank you for your interest.
Before submitting an application to "The Caring TEEN" school year or summer program for high school students, please carefully consider whether your school year or summer schedule can accommodate the required time commitment detailed below. Discussion of any vacation, job or summer camp plans will be part of your interview.
- You must be between 15 and 17 years of age as of July 1 to participate.
- Teens must provide a copy of their immunization and Covid-19 vaccine records at time of OHS appointment (don't attach to the application).
- School year commitment: 1 to 2 days a week, flexible schedules.
- Summer commitment: at least 2 to 3 times a week for a minimum of 62 hours over the course of seven weeks.
- All volunteers must be available during standard business hours. Weekend and evening hours are available in limited departments.
If you meet the above requirements, please complete the online application and submit a completed teacher's recommendation form.
- Open enrollment for the summer is from November through February.
- Open enrollment for the school year is from August through October.
- High School Students, apply online.
You may apply now for the coming summer. You'll receive an initial email confirming receipt of your application, but you won’t be contacted about the program until March.
We hope you’ll join us for “The Caring TEEN” program at Montefiore Nyack Hospital and look forward to meeting you!