Montefiore Nyack Hospital is proud to be accredited by the Joint Commission for our hospital and home care services. In March 2002, The Joint Commission together with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) launched Speak Up—a national campaign urging patients to take a role in preventing health care errors by becoming active, involved and informed participants in their healthcare.
Speak Up encourages everyone who receives health care to:
- Speak up if you have questions or concerns about your care, treatment plan, diagnosis and/or medications. If you don’t understand the answers given, ask again. It’s your body and you have a right to know.
- Pay attention to the care you're receiving. Make sure you’re getting the right treatments and medications by the right healthcare professionals. Don’t assume anything.
- Educate yourself about your diagnosis, the medical tests you're undergoing and your treatment plan.
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate.
- Know what medications you take and why you take them. Medication errors are the most common healthcare errors.
- Use a hospital, clinic, surgery center or other type of healthcare organization that has undergone a rigorous on-site evaluation against established state-of-the-art quality and safety standards, such as those provided by the Joint Commission.
- Participate in all decisions about your treatment. You're the center of your healthcare team.
- Know your rights as a patient. As a patient at Montefiore Nyack Hospital, you have the right to present a concern, complaint or grievance to a designated hospital staff member who will respond to your concerns within a reasonable period of time. You may voice your concern, complaint or grievance to your nurse, the Nurse Manager for your unit, the Patient Experience Department at 845-348-6778 or the Risk Management Department at extension 2139.